Keep your lips moist and refreshed with this super easy recipe for Rosemary Mint Cocoa Butter Lip Balm. I’ve tried a lot of lip balms over the years and this recipe makes one of my favourite formulas.
This lip balm invigorates the senses with an irresistible minty rosemary herbal flavour combination. The peppermint and rosemary oil is infused with silky smooth cocoa butter, bees wax and olive oil creating a formula that pampers and conditions lips. We like to use olive oil as the base carrier oil in our lip balm because it contains vitamin E & K. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant.
This is a great project for anyone looking to make their own holiday gifts, a stocking stuffer or to spoil your co-workers and friends. You can make up a big batch of this recipe in 20 minutes!
- 36 x 5.5ml Lip balm tubes OR 6 x 1oz Lip balm tins
- Glass measuring jug
- Medium sized pot
- Silicone spatula
- 1/2 cup organic, cold pressed, organic, Olea europaea (olive oil)
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 4 drops vitamin E oil
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 Drops rosemary essential oil
- Measure out the beeswax, oil, cocoa butter and olive oil into a heat resistant jug. I use a pyrex measuring jug as the spout makes it easy to pour into the containers.
- Place the measuring jug in a saucepan and turn on low heat. Gently stir until all of the solids have melted. It can take a a few minutes for the bees wax to melt but be patient and resist the urge to turn up the heat. Heat will destroy some of the healing benefits of these ingredients.
- When all of the ingredients have melted remove the jug from heat.
- Using a flexible silicone spatula stir in the vitamin E, rosemary and peppermint oil.
- Pour the melted lip balm into lip balm tubes or metal tins and allow to set before affixing the lids. The best time to pour is when the mixture is still warm so that you can achieve a lovely smooth surface.
About Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is a natural fat that comes from the cocoa bean. It adds a creamy softness and lovely scent to your lip balm. Cocoa butter can benefit the skin by locking in moisture and protecting the skin from oxidative stress!